Bienvenue! It is nice of you to drop by.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Summer Jelly with Mixed Fruits



I found this recipe in a Japanese book I purchased recently. Although I am not a big fan of jelly (I was put off by those Jell-O commercial when I was a kid.) but it looks so pretty in the book that I want to give it a try. It also has a kick to it because this calls for some good dessert wine (this is not jell-o shot!). This recipe calls for a Japanese apricot sweet wine called Shiruchu but I used Moscato in its replacement. For this reason, I don’t know if I should serve this at the baby shower that I will be hosting for my gal friend. I must say I was a little buzz after having just one jelly but I must admit that I have a low alcohol tolerance :(


I wanted to use a mold as pretty as the one that was shown in the book so I made a trip to one of my all time favorite stores in search for something similar. The store has a pretty good selection of molds and I found the exact one that was used in the book (I knew this store won’t disappoint me :P)! However, you can use any kind of containers and molds. This recipe makes about 12 of ½ cup servings but you can cut it down to 6 servings by dividing the ingredients by 2. This dessert was dead easy to make that you can whip up in half an hour (excluding the fridge-set time). Give this dessert a try on your upcoming birthday party, brunch, and etc. It sure will give your guests a whole different perspective of what people may call a kid’s dessert!



Serves 12 (1/2 cup)

500ml water
170g granulated sugar
100ml dessert wine of your choice (I used Moscato.)
2tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/2tablespoons powdered gelatine
120ml water (use for pre-soaking the gelatine)
2cups diced fruits (mango, peach, apple, melon etc)

Combine water, sugar, wine and lemon juice in a bowl and blend until sugar completely melted. Set aside.

In a heat proof bowl, combine the gelatine with water. Place the bowl into the microwave and set it on high for 20 second to melt the gelatine. Stir until cool then add to wine mixture. Stir to combine.

Spoon mixed fruits into the mold until half full then pour the jelly mixture in next. Refrigerate until set (1-2 hours).

How to de-mold the jelly?
Place the bottom of the mold in a 50 degree C water bath for 15 second. It will slide right out.

1 comment:

Don't be shy! Drop me a few lines ^0^
來嘛,畫個丫♥